8.29.2010

SUNDAY MATINEE ♥ WE'VE GOT A FUZZBOX



I had intended to do a post on another film this week, or even a record or two that just got released. But I had a lot of things I had to deal with that ended with good news. So I'm tired. So this one is short and sweet but just as fun, hopefully. 

I'm not a huge 80s fan, per se. Not of the fashion and bringing it back. I do realize, however, that if I was 18 right now, I would probably worship a lot of things about it. One of the main differences with the 80s and now when it comes to dress is the energy behind it. I was interviewed on BBC about trends in LA and how some designers are bringing back the 80s. My answer danced around a little and then I basically admitted that I thought it didn't have the same energy. A polka-dot legging now vs a polka-dot legging then...well, wearing a polka-dot legging doesn't make it 80s. There weren't two million stylists. And, from what I remember, most kids used to create their looks from stuff that was lying around the house or in their parents' closets. They cut and dyed and mixed things that looked really off, which is why they looked on. Whenever I think about it, I think about the bands who were around then. I had a lot of young relatives in London at the time, and they'd send me the most fantastic packages. Tapes and magazines and badges (buttons) and bandannas and bags with prints and crazy things like huge plastic skeleton earrings with rhinestone eyes. I was way too young to ever dress like the girls in FUZZBOX (which was originally WE'VE GOT A FUZZBOX AND WE'RE GOING TO USE IT), but this video especially (along with a lot of other bands out there) really, for me, showcases some real crazy good 80s personal style. It's all so low-budget. These girls didn't have someone come in and style them like this. THIS WAS HOW THEY STYLED THEMSELVES EVERY DAY...probably way before they got any fame at all. There's so much fashion in video from the 80s. I think I used to watch videos like the ones from Fuzzbox on local video shows and fantasize what it would be like to get dressed up and go to a "club"... I am always looking for a new batch of kids who take their style from what they already have. Not from walking into an American Apparel shop. That's just boring. BORING. It's much more interesting to see a kid take from nothing...and make something of it. That's what I think of when it comes to the 80s. Here's one more song, though I don't remember this one at all. I only remember "Love Is The Slug"... because of my dear relatives who exposed me to them. I totally love when she grosses out on the boys hitting on her in the club. Anyway, these are great references and also pretty fun...I hope you enjoy them. (I think the below song is a bite off of very early Go-Go's...but it's still good.)  ♡




No comments: