12.05.2010

SUNDAY MATINEE ♥ MORVERN CALLAR





MORVERN CALLAR is one of my favorite films as well as one of my favorite books (written by a man, surprisingly....Alan Warner). The film, if you look at it for its style and art direction, is perfection. I had read and loved the book before I saw the film. That's always a bit hard because, if you love the book, the film can end up being a downer if they didn't do it right. The casting was on point, too, with Samantha Morton (LOVE HER) playing the lead role of Morvern Callar. I don't want to really give the plot away here in case you want to either read it or see the movie (or hopefully both), but it involves a novel writer and a publisher and a lot of crazy experience. But the film is really something else, because it's on another dimension from the book. You're not going to get much of the story from the two above scenes, but I know it will really peak your interest. You will understand what I'm talking about when it comes to style, casting and art direction. But, people, PLEASE read the book. The book takes you right into her mind. You hear her voice and see through her eyes rather than just having a fly-on-the-wall view. Oh...I forgot to mention one of the best things about the film...it was directed by a woman...Lynne Ramsay...who did an exquisite job. Bravo. (She's on the top of my list if they every turn my soon-to-be-released novel into a movie!)♡



PS......I love the MAMAS AND THE PAPAS....


And...here's "Some Velvet Morning" with Primal Scream featuring Kate Moss. It's a really good cover actually. And the images splashing on the screen behind them are by Julie Verhoeven (whom I also love). Happy Sunday.




images from archive.sensesofcinema.com, cinecultist.com

No comments: