4.23.2013

♥ REVISITNG NARS SHEER GLOW & MAYBELLINE DEFINE-A-BROW ♥

I didn't update my post yesterday, so I'll just do one separately today for the makeup stuff I wanted to revisit. I have had the worst allergies ever this season and right now I am fighting a really bad sinus infection...please send good vibes that I feel better by the time I go to bed tonight so I can be perky and happy in the morning for my interview (! more on that later!)...

But I wanted to revisit a couple of products I have written about and kind of forgot about or wasn't super thrilled about them at first...though now I get it and understand what I needed to do. They're products I am pretty much loving as of this moment. 



First is Nars Sheer Glow foundation. Everyone has written about this and talked about it and reviewed it. I bought it thinking I would be loving it, as I have super dry and sensitive skin. But...I wasn't super excited about the look or the color of it. So it went back in it's box and I didn't really use it for a long time. Lately, however, I've been on a mission to use up the foundations that I'm not in love with now that I know which products I like (over a year ago, my fave foundation that I had used for years and years got discontinued...and I went on a mission to find a new HG base). Not too long ago, I watched one of the newer Lisa Eldridge foundation series vids (if you haven't seen these, go watch them...they are great and she's very nice on the eyes and soothing on the ears), and she really re-iterated that it was best to start with a THIN layer of foundation and then add more THIN layers rather than slapping on a thicker batch to cover up imperfections. I was intrigued. I guess I missed that direction in her other vids or somehow it did not register. I decided to try this method with the Nars Sheer Glow in Fiji. I applied smooth THIN layers. The results were very different for me than my past applications. The color even looked better. It lasted longer. And you could hardly see the foundation. So now I am really enjoying it, though I don't think I will repurchase after it's done as I love my Revlon Colorstay (for dry skin) and my Asian-brand foundations and BB creams so much more (on the list to try is def the Amore Pacific compact that The Beauty Professor reviewed recently...she sold me!). 

Another product I recently bought (thanks for Josh Collier) was Maybelline's Define-A-Brow which is supposedly a dupe for Mac's brow pencils (the ones Charlotte Tilbury always uses). I couldn't find the right color the first time (medium brown is supposed to be a dupe for Mac's Lingering). I bought the color light brown first. But I wasn't so in love with it. After a long while, I finally found the Maybelline pencil in medium brown...and it's awesome! The color is perfect. It looks so natural on a darker brow. And it's only $6. I am a fan. :)

So def try the pencil out if you're in the market for a new one or you don't want to pay $25 for the Mac pencil because it runs out so quickly. And if you have your Nars Sheer Glow just sitting there collecting dust, whip it out and start with THIN THIN layers. Build it up that way, as Lisa says to do. And let me know what you think. 

xx♥


more makeup ♥ more march faves

No comments: